In the end of 19th century, 1897

a Rostov millionaire B.I.Ryss constructed a white tin and glazed iron plant. In 1909 the factory was transformed into joint-stock company "Zhest" and first galvanizing production was constructed to zinc buckets and basins.

In 1920

a special furnace with a catcher was built thanks to the efforts of a self-taught chemist A.V.Olesin. First zinc oxide was produced from galvanizing production wastes remaining in baths after zincing of products. But in 1921 the furnace was dismantled.

In 1923

Andrey Pichygin was invited to Rostov-on-Don from Vladikavkaz. He spent his young years working at Alagirsky lead-zinc mines and as a bricklayer at zinc oxide plant in Paris after the First World War. On March, 5th, 1923 foundation stone of future zinc oxide production facility was put by Andrey Pichygin. He wasn’t educated and couldn’t read, the plant was built by his memory and distances were measured by quantity of steps.

On March, 31st, 1923

first industrial Russian zinc oxide was produced. Furnace capacity was about 1000 poods of zinc oxide per month (16 Mt). In June of the same year second furnace was started. In 1923 Andrey Pichygin, the founder of Russian zinc oxide manufacturing, was awarded with an Order of the Red Banner of Labour. The plant was named after “October revolution”.

In 1924

1152 tons of zinc oxide were produced – third part of all quantity needed for the country. Other two-thirds were imported from France and Belgium.

In 1925

Pichygin together with production workers went to Germany and France to adopt foreign experience. They found out that foreign colleagues used pure zinc ingots instead of galvanizing waste for manufacturing zinc oxide of the highest quality. In 1925-1926 new production site with furnaces was constructed according to foreign design. In summer 1925 zinc oxide of the highest grade was produced. Capacity grew to 4000 Mt per year. That fact allowed avoiding import from abroad.



In 1960-1962

general reconstruction of zinc oxide manufacturing was done.

In 1968-72

third reconstruction of manufacture was finished. Three new muffle furnaces were put into operation. Overall production reached 86 000 tons per year. The geography of deliveries occupied the territory of Russia and 20 foreign countries.

In 1990

fourth reconstruction was over. As a result technical modernization of filter house was done.

In 1998

Empils-zinc together with paint and varnish manufacture was included into the Industrial Union “Novoe Sodryzhestvo”. That fact brought modernization and strengthen company’s role in the market.



In 2006-2007

Production technology of zinc oxide with high specific surface (BET method) was developed, implemented and refined. This grade was named "Tyre quality" due to specific use of such zinc oxide in the tyres manufacture. Subsequently, the trademark "Tyre quality" was registered and method of its production was patented.

In 2009-2012

Production was upgraded: a granulator was installed and its work was debugged for manufacturing zinc oxide in granules of different sizes; a separate production line was launched, including a new filter system and new packaging machines to prevent washing of equipment and mixing different grades of zinc oxide.

In 2017

In 2017 our company received the certificate of conformity with quality management system international standard ISO/TS 16949:2009.

To be continued...